If you get the following error while trying to run Tomcat instance in VMWare on Windows Vista/7/8, the solutions are presented underneath.
- Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Server\tomcat\bin (or where you have installed VMWare)
- Right Click on tomcat6.exe and click on Properties
- Change Compatibility mode to -> Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
- Change Privilege Level -> Check the box 'Run this program as an administrator'
Test it now.
If it does not work, add privilege to the current user using the following steps.
- Go to the same location and open the properties page of tomcat6.exe
- Go to 'Security' tab
- Click add button
- Find the user you want to give privilege to
- Click Ok
- Tick all boxes in the Allow column.
- Click Apply -> Ok
Incase this did not work, do the same thing to the file 'tomcat6w.exe' located at the same directory as tomcat6.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Server\tomcat\bin)
More info at: